Thursday, May 15, 2008

tomatoes

There are days when I feel like I can't breathe. I'm breathing, but it feels as if I'm not getting enough in, that the oxygen isn't getting everywhere it's supposed to in my body. Today has been one of those days. Well, this morning was, and now it's like that again. But for a little while during the day, I could breathe...and it smelled like fresh tomatoes...

This morning papi asked if we could go to the store to get some seeds for him to plant in the kapsaaed. (I cannot even being to explain how excited and happy I am that this year papi is back in his kapsaaed. Last year he had surgery in the beginning of the summer and never made it to the kapsaaed once. Which I know was quite tough for him as he is a gardener by profession.) Mammi couldn't go because of a doctor's appointment, but I said I could still take him. So after getting some necessary things done first, we went to Lowes.

Quite an adventure actually. I haven't been out somewhere with papi in years and years....and now he's five months shy of being 90 years old. All together we were out for just over three hours, two of which were spent at Lowes. During that time we perused the plants. Then the seemned for at least forty five minutes. Then the hand saws. Then back to the seemned. Then soils. Then plants. By the end we filled up two carts (he needed one for walking) with items from each. Right as we got to the cash register papi had to use the bathroom (for the second time already). I asked if he remembered where it was and he said yes and that he'd meet me up front. So he took his cart and went on his way while I paid (a little over $80) and loaded everything in the car. Then I went back inside to look for him. I saw him from afar and smiled and found myself surprised at his independence. But then as I met up with him in the aisle, he suddenly aged again, as his shuffling came to a stop after about every ten feet where he would then stand still and breathe really hard and rest. So we took our time getting out of the store. Then stopped at chick-fil-a for some food and drink which we had to consume in the car since we then had to go pick up Helvi from school (on the way going by Enn's work so papi could see where it was). Needless to say papi was exhausted after all this and went straight for a nap. But when mammi got home and I told her of our adventures, she said that he must be so happy now.

This summer papi can live in his kapsaaed. And in it I can breathe.

No comments: